Luna Bear is sad because she is on her own and has no-one to play with. Luckily, The Bear Buddies are kind and friendly; they scoop her up and before long, she is one of them Introducing the eight Bear Buddies, FRIENDS TOGETHER is all about making friends in the playground, helping children learn and practice early social language and interpersonal skills. In addition to modelling simple playtime language that children will need to make friends and join in, the story demonstrates the importance of inclusivity, acceptance, kindness and diverse friendships.
FRIENDS TOGETHER was initially written for deaf children learning to listen and speak but is equally suited to all children aged 3-6 years old as they transition from home to a school environment, a critical time in their developmental journey when they need to learn new language and appropriate behaviour for making friends, playing and thriving in a wider social setting.
- Playtime / play language
- Saying hello and introducing yourself and others
- Saying 'thank you' and responding 'you're welcome'
- Paying compliments and responding to compliments
- Expressing basic feelings
- Appreciating the importance of kindness and inclusivity in the playground
- Interactive reading and activities stimulating two-way communication between adult and child
- Sequential time concepts
- Learning left and right
- Answering 'Why?' questions with 'Because...'
- Recognising and understanding basic emotions
- Recognising basic personality traits
- Recognising and accepting that different individuals have different preferences
- Understanding that the things that make us different are the things that make us interesting
- Basic theory of mind
- Strengthening auditory memory
The author is grateful for the advice and support of the Auditory Verbal UK (AVUK) team.